The Sustain Energy Working Group is a very active collaboration working on a number of renewable energy and energy efficiency fronts.
Current projects which the working group funds or supports include:
- Byron Shire Council Low Carbon Strategy
- COREM: Community Owned Renewable Energy Mullumbimby
- Distributing energy efficiency kits via Northern Rivers community and neighbourhood centres
- ENOVA: Northern Rivers community electricity retailer
- Energy efficiency training
- Lismore Council and Starfish ‘Farming the Sun’ community solar PV initiative
- Lismore Council 100% renewable energy by 2023
- NSW Virtual Net Metering Trial
- North Coast Energy Forum
- Northern Rivers Community Biohubs: Research into community biohubs funded by Regional Development Australia – Northern Rivers and NSW Office of Environment and Heritage
- Sustainable House Day regional design competition, Tweed ‘Living for the Future’ Home Expo and Lismore Sustainable House Day Expo and Design Showcase & Awards
- Tweed Shire Council energy forums
- Tyalgum Energy Project: check out a video about the project, the Transition Tyalgum: A Plan for Energy Self Sufficiency and find out more on their project page
- May 2015: A ‘Crowd Funding for Community Renewable Energy Projects’ information evening held in Murwillumbah and broadcast to over 40 people online via webcast.
- April 2015: Bioenergy social licence survey completed.
- April 2015: A greenhouse around the corner: energy efficiency information to the adult and community education sector
- April 2013: NSW North Coast Bioenergy Scoping Study: Investigation into the main bioenergy feedstocks in the Northern Rivers region and a brief overview of the main bioenergy technologies, by Institute for Sustainable Futures, funded by the Office of Environment and Heritage
- July 2012: Future Energy Skills for the North Coast: A research project conducted by the Institute for Sustainable Futures, funded by the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Realtions (DEEWR) to address key questions about the provision of current and future skills required to achieve a sustainable energy future.